Cranberry White Chocolate Scones & Orzo Salad with Dried Apricots, Pistachios and Ginger Dressing
Made these for the baby shower this past weekend and got asked for the recipes, so here they are!
CRANBERRY WHITE CHOCOLATE SCONES
I was really nervous about this one actually, as I hadn’t made them before (and I am not much of a baker!), but I knew it was a good one because my mother-in-law makes them all the time. Makes about 2 dozen small scones.
2 cups flour (sifted)
1/2 cup sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 cup softened butter
6 oz. white chocolate chips
1 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup lemon yogurt
1-1/2 tsp. vanilla
1) Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
1) Mix first 3 ingredients well, then cut in the butter until it resembles coarse crumbles.
2) Add white chocolate chips and dried cranberries.
3) Mix egg, yogurt and vanilla well in a separate bowl, and add to dry mixture.
4) Drop onto pan in desired size (I made them about 2″ round, so about 12-16 on a sheet).
5) Sprinkle tops with the raw sugar.
6) Bake for 15 minutes, until tops are browned.
ORZO SALAD WITH DRIED APRICOTS, PISTACHIOS AND GINGER DRESSING
I’ve made this one quite a bit, and it’s always a hit! It’s a recipe from Aux Délices in Greenwich, CT that I found in a 2005 Bon Appetit. 6-8 servings.
4 oz. fresh ginger, thinly sliced (about 1 cup)
1 cup canola oil
12 oz. orzo or riso pasta
3 T. (tablespoons) fresh lemon juice
1-1/4 tsp. ground coriander
1-1/2 cups thinly sliced dried apricots
1 cup chopped green onions
2/3 cup pistachios, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1) Bring ginger and oil just to boil in heavy medium saucepan over medium heat; remove from heat. Cool ginger oil to room temperature; transfer to glass container, cover, and refrigerate for 1 hour. (Can be made 2 weeks ahead. Strain and discard ginger after 2 days. Keep covered and refrigerated.)
2) Cook orzo in large saucepan of boiling salted water until tender but still firm to bite, stirring occasionally. Drain orzo and rinse under cold water until cool. Drain well.
3) Whisk 6 tablespoons strained ginger oil, fresh lemon juice, and coriander in small bowl to blend. Season dressing to taste with salt and pepper. Mix orzo, apricots, green onions, pistachios, and cilantro in large bowl. Add dressing; toss to coat. Season to taste with salt and pepper. (Can be made 4 hours ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Serve cold or at room temperature.)